Vanna is a 49-year-old woman who lives in Kampong Cham province with her mother and her sister. Her mother is a rice farmer, and her sister works in a local factory.
Vanna has been blind since 2000, when she was the victim of an acid attack by her neighbor. The attack melted her eyelids, nose, and upper lip. Since then, she has had various facial surgeries and skin grafts. Due to her scarring and blindness, she feels she has no creative outlets, does not leave the house, and is lonely and depressed. Recently, she has had increased pain radiating from her back to her neck. This condition is caused by scarring and contractures from acid burns. Skin contractures occur when the burned skin heals and forms scar tissue that tightens and restricts movement. The scar tissue can cause the affected area to become stiff and limit the range of motion.
Vanna traveled to our medical partner, Children’s Surgical Centre, hoping for treatment. On June 14th, surgeons at CSC will perform a burn contracture release surgery to relieve the pain and help her move her neck more freely. Now, she needs help to fund this $495 procedure.
Vanna said: “I hope I move my neck and will no longer have so much pain. I will be very thankful if the doctors can do this.”